Getting a table just for coffee can be a very sensible choice for many reasons because it:
- Acts as a centerpiece in any room.
- Bridges the gap in large spaces.
- Can serve multiple purposes.
- Adds a touch of style.
- Provides versatility as it comes in many shapes and sizes.
- Can provide additional storage space.
- Can be portable.
- Keeps your living room tidy.
- Can last a lifetime.
Note that a coffee table is usually best suited for larger rooms as it can help make them feel more comfortable by occupying space and acting as the centerpiece in the room.
However – coffee tables might not be a great option for smaller rooms where space is tight.
But there are still portable and compact models that can work really well even in a small space so don’t feel discouraged if your living room is on the smaller side.
To help you get a better idea of why you might need a coffee table, in this article I’ll also cover the following topics:
- A closer look at the top 9 reasons for wanting a coffee table.
- The main factors to consider when buying a table just for coffee.
- Several less-known uses for coffee tables.
- 7 practical coffee table alternatives that you can try.
- Additional facts about tables just for coffee.
9 Reasons Why You Want a Coffee Table
Here are 9 hand-picked and sensible reasons for adding a coffee table to your room:
1. It Brings the Whole Interior together
A coffee table acts as the centerpiece in any room, especially larger ones.
Since coffee tables are usually placed in the middle of the room, they attract the most attention and this makes the room feel more complete and less empty.
2. A Coffee Table Bridges the Gap in Large Rooms
Coffee tables fill up large empty spaces that wouldn’t benefit from adding tables and chairs as they just wouldn’t look good.
A coffee table that sits in the middle of two large sofas bridges the gap between them and makes other pieces of furniture look more compact.
3. A Coffee Table Can Serve Multiple Purposes
A coffee table is a practical piece of furniture that accommodates various drinks, foods and other items.
You can not only use it to place cups of coffee on top, but also for tea, snacks, remote controls and other various items.
- Also read: Best lift-top coffee tables
4. Coffee Tables are Typically Very Stylish
A coffee table can add a much-needed touch of style and increase the interior design appeal of your home.
Coffee tables can complement almost any sofa and chair and bring out the best of the room that it’s placed in.
5. Coffee Tables Comes in Many Shapes and Sizes
Coffee tables provide a wide range of style, size and shape options, which makes it easy to find the one that would match other pieces of furniture in your living room or patio.
The most popular coffee table styles include:
- Contemporary coffee tables.
While coffee tables come in different shapes such as:
6. A Coffee Table Can Provide More Storage Space
Some coffee tables come with one or several small compartments and shelves that provide even more storage space for various items.
7. There are Portable Coffee Table Models
Portable and lightweight coffee tables are a great option if you want a coffee table that’s easy to move around the house.
Also, depending on the material, they can be used as outdoor coffee tables too.
8. A Coffee Table Keeps Your Living Room Tidy
Putting cups of coffee and snack on the floor will inevitably increase the chances of accidentally spilling something and making a huge mess.
That’s why you can put everything on a coffee table so that everyone can reach them easily and by doing so you will prevent any accidental spills to keep your living room clean.
9. Coffee Tables Can Last a Lifetime
A table just for coffee that’s made of solid materials and that’s properly taken care of can very well last a lifetime.
Moreover, you can also pass your coffee table down as a family heirloom if needed.
Consider This When Buying a Table Just for Coffee
When buying a table just for coffee, consider important factors for choosing the right coffee table for you such as size, height, weight, shape and material.
The size of the coffee table should match the size of your living room and your furniture – including sofas and chairs.
A table just for coffee should be the same height (or 1 to 2 inches lower) as your
Coffee tables can weigh anywhere from 10 lbs all the way up to 50 lbs, depending on the material.
Basically, the lighter the table, the easier it will be for you to change move it around your home.
Coffee tables come in all kinds of shapes such as:
Lastly, coffee tables are typically made of the following materials (or a combination of them):
3 Less Obvious Uses for Coffee Tables
Although the primary purpose for having a coffee table is to serve coffee on it (obviously), there are 3 less obvious purposes of a coffee table that can be used for:
1. Playing Games and Putting Puzzles
Any coffee table can easily be transformed into a practical and convenient place where adults and kids can play various games.
The smooth surface makes coffee tables a great option for putting a puzzle together.
But it’s also very practical for playing board games, checkers or card games in general.
2. Acting as Accent Furniture in Your Living Room
Accent furniture is a type of furniture that simply stands out from any other furniture or decorations in a room.
And some coffee tables that are made of marble, wood, glass or stone can be effectively used as superb decorative accents.
The most typical way of adding more oomph to the decorative accent of a coffee table is by displaying books or flowers.
3. Storing Various Items and Things
Coffee tables can also be used as small storage places that can accommodate various items such as newspapers, books, games and magazines.
You can also use them as practical organizational space for your family or even as the homework storage center of your house.
This is What Coffee Tables Can Also Be Used For:
- Display shelf.
- Temporary desk.
7 Very Practical Coffee Table Alternatives
Although coffee tables are a staple in just about every living room, you might struggle with tight space or maybe you just need something more child-proof.
This is why you should consider the following great and super practical coffee table alternatives, starting with the kid-friendly options first:
Two poufs can be a great substitute for a regular coffee table as they’re versatile, modern and really practical.
The lack of sharp edges and soft structure makes them ideal for children.
Poufs also have many additional uses such as serving as extra seats, a footrest or even as a side table.
2. A Plush Ottoman
A plush ottoman can kill two birds with one stone as it’s arguably just as practical as a traditional coffee table, while also being super kid-friendly due to the soft edges.
Ottomans can also be used as practical albeit unorthodox seats if you have extra guests.
3. A Round C-Side Table
Round C-side tables are a great, space-saving alternative and it’s very easy to move them around the house due to their compact size.
The soft and round sides are perfect for children and you can even use them as an improvised work desk if need be.
4. Round Side Tables
Using a pair of side tables can be a fabulous coffee table alternative that’ll add more individuality to your living room.
Side tables also come with lots of versatility as you can move them around without any problems in case you’re hosting a party or simply have a tad too many guests.
5. Plush Stools
A plush stool (or several stools) is a very cost-effective, child-friendly and space-saving replacement for a coffee table.
And when you don’t need it to act as a coffee table substitute, you can simply use it as intended – as an additional seating option.
6. A Storage Ottoman
Although it’s not as child-safe as a plush ottoman, a storage ottoman is still a viable coffee table substitute that also comes with the added benefit of having a hidden storage compartment.
It can be used for storing various things and it can also serve as an extra seat.
7. Rounded Bench
The bench is another great alternative that’s highly versatile as it can be used as an additional seating option or a smooth storage surface.
I’d recommend getting a rounded bench to avoid hitting your knees or shins on the hard edges of regular benches, especially if you have kids at home.
Other Useful Facts About Tables Just for Coffee
Below you’ll find a few additional facts about coffee tables that you need to know about:
1. Coffee Tables Can Be Used in Small Spaces As Well
Although a coffee table would be a more optimal choice for larger rooms, it can still be a great option for smaller spaces.
There is a wide range of small and compact coffee tables, some of which provide practical storage space as well.
You just have to be careful when sifting through different models to find a compact one that won’t be too big for your place.
2. Side Tables Can be a Good Coffee Table Substitute
You can totally use a side table as a substitute for an actual coffee table, whether it’s one or several mismatched side tables or a C-side table.
Alternatively, if you don’t have a coffee table or side table, you can use one of the following things to serve the same function:
- Storage ottoman
- A pair of pous
3. Coffee Tables Can Be Used for Other Items As Well
Apart from the obvious cup or cups of coffee, a coffee table can be used for storing various other beverages, drinks and items such as:
- Remote controls
- Decorative items
4. Coffee Tables Have Taken Over Tea Tables
Tea tables become immensely popular in the 17th and 18th centuries since they let people place their hot drinks (tea or coffee) on a designated table, instead of on the floor.
But with time, coffee took over and became more popular than tea, thus the name – coffee table.
- Also read: Best coffee table for a sectional sofa
1. What is a Table Just for Coffee?
A Table Just for Coffee is a small table that is designed specifically for holding coffee cups, mugs, and other related items.
It is typically positioned in a living room or sitting area, and it serves as a convenient surface for placing drinks while relaxing.
The three most important pieces of information about Table Just for Coffee are:
- Its size and design are specifically tailored for holding coffee cups and other similar items.
- It is typically positioned in a living room or sitting area.
- It serves as a convenient surface for placing drinks while relaxing.
2. What are the different types of Table Just for Coffee?
There are various types of Table Just for Coffee available in the market, each with its own unique design, size, and materials.
Some common types include glass coffee tables, wooden coffee tables, and metal coffee tables.
The three most important pieces of information about the different types of Table Just for Coffee are:
- They come in various designs, sizes, and materials.
- Common types include glass coffee tables, wooden coffee tables, and metal coffee tables.
- The type of material used can affect the table’s durability, weight, and overall appearance
3. How to style a Table Just for Coffee?
Styling a Table Just for Coffee involves adding decorative items that enhance the overall look of the room.
Some popular decorative items that can be placed on a coffee table include coffee table books, decorative trays, candles, and vases.
The three most important pieces of information about styling a Table Just for Coffee are:
- Styling involves adding decorative items to enhance the table’s look.
- Popular decorative items include coffee table books, decorative trays, candles, and vases.
- The decorative items should be chosen based on the room’s overall decor and the table’s design.
4. How to care for a Table Just for Coffee?
Proper care and maintenance of a Table Just for Coffee are crucial for preserving its appearance and prolonging its lifespan.
Some tips for caring for a coffee table include wiping it with a soft cloth, avoiding exposure to direct sunlight and moisture, and using coasters to protect the table’s surface.
The three most important pieces of information about caring for a Table Just for Coffee are:
- Proper care and maintenance are crucial for preserving the table’s appearance and prolonging its lifespan.
- Wipe the table with a soft cloth and avoid exposure to direct sunlight and moisture.
- Use coasters to protect the table’s surface from damage caused by spilled drinks or hot cups.
5. What is the ideal height for a Table Just for Coffee?
The ideal height for a Table Just for Coffee is typically between 16 to 18 inches, which is roughly the same height as a sofa seat.
This height ensures that the table is at a comfortable level for placing and retrieving coffee cups and other items while seated.
The three most important pieces of information about the ideal height for a Table Just for Coffee are:
- The ideal height for a coffee table is typically between 16 to 18 inches.
- This height is roughly the same height as a sofa seat.
- The ideal height ensures that the table is at a comfortable level for placing and retrieving coffee cups and other items while seated.
6. How can a Table Just for Coffee be used in a small living room?
In a small living room, a Table Just for Coffee can serve as a functional and stylish piece of furniture. Choosing a table with a small footprint or a nesting design can help save space, and opting for a glass or mirrored table can create an illusion of more space.
The three most important pieces of information about using a Table Just for Coffee in a small living room are:
- A Table Just for Coffee can serve as a functional and stylish piece of furniture in a small living room.
- Choosing a table with a small footprint or a nesting design can help save space.
- Opting for a glass or mirrored table can create an illusion of more space.
In this article, I’ve covered the top 9 sensible reasons why you want a table just for coffee, as well as other practical uses for coffee tables, what to consider when buying one and more.
Some of the great reasons for having a coffee table include:
- Bridge the gap in large rooms and make them feel more comfortable.
- Adds style and serves various purposes.
- Offers portability, versatility and extra storage space.
- Can last a lifetime and helps to keep your living room tidy.
A table just for coffee is a staple piece in most living rooms as you can place other drinks and snacks on top of it or use it as a leg rest.
However, coffee tables are more suitable for larger rooms and spaces, although there are compact and portable models out there.
Did somebody say coffee? Two shots of espresso for me, thanks. Oh, nevermind – I’m Simon, nice to e-meet you, dear CoffeeLifior! I like to write, drink coffee and I believe in Jesus. Highly-caffeinated drinks are my thing, but you can occasionally see me sip on decaf (my wife never finishes her coffee). Speaking of which, I’m off to grab another cup of caffeinated goodness now, laters!
Last update on 2023-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API