Here’s whether or not you can still drink coffee with Invisalign:
Removing your Invisalign aligners before drinking coffee is recommended, as the heat from the coffee can warp the aligners.
Also, keep in mind that the stains coffee leaves behind can be difficult to remove.
You should avoid drinking coffee or any other dark-colored beverage while wearing Invisalign.
Always remember to brush your teeth afterward to avoid staining your aligners.
So if you’re looking to keep your Invisalign sparkling white, you might want to cut back on the coffee.
Can I Drink Coffee Through a Straw with Invisalign?
Dental specialists don’t recommend drinking through a straw with Invisalign – whether it’s coffee, tea, or another beverage.
Although a straw can reduce staining or warping, it will not eliminate the adverse effects drinks besides water can have on the aligners.
Still, keep these things in mind if you’re so keen on trying to drink any liquids with Invisalign:
- First, it’s important to avoid hot drinks. Not only can they cause discomfort, but they can also potentially warp your aligners. Stick to cooler beverages or let your coffee cool down before taking a sip.
- Second, be sure to use a wide straw. Narrow straws can cause the aligners to shift out of place, which can lengthen the treatment time.
- Lastly, take care when sipping. Sucking too hard on the straw can cause the aligners to come out of your mouth. If this happens, simply rinse them off and pop them back in.
Nonetheless, personally, I’ll never drink anything from a straw while wearing Invisalign.
Alternatives to Coffee
If you’re a coffee lover like me, you might be wondering if you can continue to enjoy your favorite morning beverage while wearing Invisalign.
Unfortunately, coffee (and other dark beverages) can cause staining on your aligners, which is why I had to give it up for the duration of my treatment.
There are no viable alternatives to coffee that you can drink while wearing Invisalign. The only allowed drink is pure water.
Either it’ll be a hot drink (e.g. tea) that can warp the aligners or something with a lot of sugar (e.g. soda or an energy drink) that will be trapped between the liner and your teeth.
If you’re just looking for something to drink in the morning that isn’t coffee, try plain old water!
It might not taste as good, but it’s good for you.
What Drinks Can You Drink With Invisalign?
According to official information, water is the only recommended beverage you can drink while using Invisalign. Yes, just some fresh water.
Nonetheless, here are some guidelines to follow when choosing what drinks to drink with Invisalign:
- Avoid sugary drinks – Too much sugar can damage your teeth and cause cavities. If you do choose to drink a sugary beverage, be sure to brush your teeth afterward.
- Limit coffee and tea – Coffee and tea can stain your teeth, so limiting them while wearing Invisalign is best. If you do drink coffee or tea, try to brush your teeth afterward or rinse your mouth out with water.
- Drink plenty of water – Water is always the best choice for your teeth and overall health! It will help keep your mouth clean and hydrated, and it’s perfect for rinsing out any sugary or staining beverages.
Are There any Other Restrictions With Invisalign?
In addition to avoiding coffee, tea, and wine, there are a few other restrictions you should be aware of with Invisalign:
- Chewing gum is a no-no since it can stick to the aligners and cause them to warp.
- You need to be careful when eating hard or crunchy foods like nuts or candy – biting down too hard could crack your aligners.
- Also, make sure to brush your teeth before putting your aligners back in – otherwise, you could trap food particles and bacteria against your teeth and gums.
While you can technically drink coffee with Invisalign aligners, it’s not recommended.
Coffee is a dark beverage and can easily stain the clear aligners, while the heat from the cup of Joe can even warp your precious Invisalign.
All of this makes them less effective at doing their job.
So, just be strict while wearing Invisalign and rely on good old water as recommended by dentists.
Have you ever consumed coffee while wearing aligners before?
Let us know by dropping your answer below!
Did somebody say coffee? Two shots of espresso for me, thanks. Oh, nevermind – I’m Simon, nice to e-meet you, dear CoffeeLifior! I like to write, drink coffee and I believe in Jesus. Highly-caffeinated drinks are my thing, but you can occasionally see me sip on decaf (my wife never finishes her coffee). Speaking of which, I’m off to grab another cup of caffeinated goodness now, laters!